Sunday 7 February 2016

Fathers, Grandfathers, Family........

Late last year my father passed away suddenly. Even though he was 83, it came as a shock to us all. Sure, there had been signs of aging, but I honestly thought we would have him with us for a few more years - and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to him!

My Dad was a 'go to' person......not just for family but for very many people from all walks of life. He was a strong leader in family, church, community and business. He was the old fashioned type - where hard work, commitment, loyalty and being true to your word was paramount. That along with his faith in God was how he lived his life.

He was also very much a family man, and as I grew older I took great pleasure in seeing him with his grandchildren and in recent years his great grandchildren. 

I am very pleased for him that he is now in heaven, free from pain, free from living in a body that was wearing out, and that he is enjoying that place of perfect peace and rest with his Lord. But I am sad for me, for my kids and my grandkids.

Dad has been the one person in my close family circle that really understood a lot of what I have been feeling these past few years. He too lost his spouse when my Mum died in 2002. There is no substitute for personal experience, and while I have family and friends who have walked through deep grief - and I don't mean to lessen their experience in anyway - losing your life's partner is different again.

I knew that Dad knew how I was feeling and what I was struggling with. We kept in touch by phone regularly and would visit as we were able. He was always concerned with how I was doing and would always ask after all my kids.

So now that both he and Mum have gone.....it's a strange feeling. There are times I would so LOVE to be able to talk to them. I am sad for my kids. I know how much they loved Dad and enjoyed it when he was around. He definitely fitted the 'patriarch' role model for our family.

So now the challenge is to move forward into another season of life. For me - I have lost 2 very strong men in my life. Two men who have had a profound influence on me and who I am as a person. I am very grateful to both of them for all they taught me and I believe I am a better person for it. 

So again.....I turn to the Lord for my strength, for wisdom, and allow His peace to saturate my heart knowing that all will be well.

I take a huge amount of joy watching my grandsons.......especially their interaction with their fathers.
My son in law Jonty is a great daddy to his 2 boys and they love him to bits. My son Heath is a new daddy...but I can see the love he has for his son and the way he talks to their little baby and the relationship that is already established......he too is a great daddy.......it brings such joy to my heart. I think the present and future generations of fathers and men in our family is looking good!

    My grandsons............

         
                                                    Owen (3 & 1/2) and Toby (19 months)
                                       
                                         
                                                                   Bodhi (2 months)

Family are so precious. Relationships are to be cared for and nurtured - even when it's hard work. Taking the time to be together, to celebrate the big occasions and the not so big, creating memories. Establishing a family culture and traditions. It all takes time and effort - but it's so worth it!

I remember family holidays when I was a little girl at Lake Rotoiti. The swimming, learning to row a dinghy, the hot pools, Dad and his friends water skiing, the trips in the boat at night in the dark! The fun, the friends, the favourite bays on the lake. All that established something in me and my siblings that we still love to this day. In fact, next week we are having a family holiday at that same lake. My sister Suzanne and brother Steve and I have all rented houses, and along with all our families - well almost all of them -  and a couple of boats we are heading off! I'm sure there will be lots of memories made.......can't wait!

Till next time................






No comments:

Post a Comment